When it comes to entertainment, the first thing that strikes our mind is dance, music, play, comedy, romance, etc. In short, cinema is the best source of entertainment. Hollywood is the biggest cinema industry based in America, Bollywood accounts for a part of the Indian movie industry.
Bollywood and Hollywood are the world famous cinematic giants that won the hearts of billions of people, from their movies, music, dance, drama and especially the story line. These two are the apex movie industries giving each other a tough competition. That is why, it is hard to compare them, but you cannot ignore the fact that Hollywood Vs Bollywood is the hottest topic of debates.
So, this article is dedicated to all the movie buffs, who want to know the difference between Bollywood and Hollywood.
Content: Bollywood Vs Hollywood
|Basis for Comparison||Bollywood||Hollywood|
|Meaning||Bollywood is a name representing Hindi language Indian cinema.||Hollywood is the popular film industry of America, that produces and distributes movies across the world.|
|Names||Bollywood is named after Bombay (presently known as Mumbai).||Hollywood is named after a district near Los Angeles, California, United States.|
|Grossing||Comparatively less||Highest in the world|
|Advanced technology and special effects||Not much used||Highly used|
|Subjects||Romance, comedy, horror, drama, family oriented stuff, etc.||Horror, science, fiction, romance, comedy, suspense, drama etc.|
|Language||Hindi, but other languages are also used.||English, but other languages are also used.|
Introduction to Bollywood
The Indian film industry is considered as the largest film producer in the world. Films produced across the country of varied culture forms part of the industry. One such part is Bollywood; that represents the Hindi cinema based in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It is the largest film industry in the country. When it comes to the number of films produced till now, Bollywood is the biggest among all the film industry across the world.
Bollywood movies are typically based on Indian culture, burning issues, stories or real life. The films move around a story that contains songs, dance, comedy, drama, suspense, romance i.e. all in one movie.
The term Bollywood is derived from two words, Bombay (former name of Mumbai) and Hollywood. The first movie Raja Harishchandra by Dadasaheb Phalke was released in 1913, which was a silent film. Alam Ara was the first Indian movie with the sound produced in 1931.
Introduction to Hollywood
Hollywood, as the name needs no introduction, it represents the American movie industry. It is a district near Los Angeles, California, the United States, which is known for its film industry that includes historic film studios. It is the largest and oldest motion picture industry across the world. Moreover, it is the highest grossing film producing industry. Hollywood movies are well known for its creative direction, adventures, technology, concept and special effects all around the world. The movies cast actors of different film industry also.
Hollywood movies are based on fiction, action, suspense, comedy, horror, romance and so on, where the movie focuses on a particular theme at a time. The first Hollywood movie was In Old California by D. W. Griffith in 1910.
Key Differences Between Bollywood and Hollywood
The paramount differences between Bollywood and Hollywood are indicated below:
- Bollywood refers to the Hindi-language motion picture industry of India. Hollywood is the American motion picture industry, named after the district near Los Angeles California.
- Bollywood derives its name from the words Bombay (presently known as Mumbai) and Hollywood. On the other hand, Hollywood is a district near Los Angeles, California, U.S.
- Hollywood has a physical presence, but this is not so, in the case of Bollywood.
- Bollywood movies come in all in one pack, i.e. you can see romance, comedy, horror, drama, family oriented stuff, etc. all in a single movie. Unlike Hollywood movies are made on subjects like Horror, science, fiction, romance, comedy, suspense, drama, etc.
- Hollywood movies use the latest technology along with special effects while the use of technology and special effects is quite less in movies of Bollywood.
- Hollywood is the highest grossing film industry. On the other end, Bollywood movie grossing is comparatively less.
- Bollywood movies are longer as compared to Hollywood ones.
- Bollywood produces more movies in a year than Hollywood.
- Bollywood movies are made in the Hindi language. However, other languages are also used in it. In contrast to Hollywood, which mainly incorporates the English language, but other languages are also there.
So after talking about the difference between these two film industries, I can say that the only thing that really matters to a person is a good movie which should be worth watching, no matter whether it belongs to Bollywood or Hollywood or any other film industry. People are generally more attracted to the movies which are based on reality or on some issues or which offer something new, interesting and adventurous. Many Bollywood movies are inspired by the Hollywood ones because they want more and more Indians to view the special content of the movie.