Windows Application is a user build an application that can run on a Windows platform. The windows application has a graphical user interface that is provided by Windows Forms. Windows forms provide a variety of controls including Button, TextBox, Radio Button, CheckBox, and other data and connection controls. You can easily design a web application using an IDE Microsoft Visual Studio using a variety of languages including C#, Visual Basic, C++, J# and many more.
It is a type of application that runs on a browser using a Web server configured with Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS). In .NET, all web applications are built around ASP.NET, which is nothing but a part of the .NET platform and includes design-time objects and controls and a run-time execution context. ASP.NET helps in building a wide variety of web application from a traditional website that serves HTML pages to a high-end business application that runs on the Internet.
Difference between Windows Application and Web Application
- The first and the foremost difference between Windows and Web Application, Windows application gets installed on a Windows-based operating system whereas the web application is installed on a web server.
- Windows application can only be accessed from a system in which it is installed. A web application can be accessed from any system through the internet.
- You need an Internet Information Services (IIS) server to run the web application. Windows application can directly be executed on a Windows operating system.
- Windows applications can only be run on a windows platform. Web Application can run on a variety of platform including Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris, Android, etc.
- If designed for a 64-bit operating system, a Windows application won’t work on the 16-bit system. The web application is independent of the type of system.