Research is a calculated investigation that provides a base for the decision-making. It can be understood as the study undertaken by an individual or entity systematically, for finding out solutions to the problems under consideration. Survey or experiment are carried out to gather information as per the objectives. Based on utility, research is divided into two categories, i.e. basic and applied research, wherein basic research is one that adds further knowledge to the actual knowledge.
On the contrary, applied research implies the research that is put to practical use and is beneficial to solve practical problems. This article might help you in understanding the difference between basic and applied research.
Content: Basic Research Vs Applied Research
|Basis for Comparison||Basic Research||Applied Research|
|Meaning||Basic Research refers to the study that is aimed at expanding the existing base of scientific knowledge.||Applied Research is the research that is designed to solve specific practical problems or answer certain questions.|
|Concerned with||Developing scientific knowledge and predictions||Development of technology and technique|
|Goal||To add some knowledge to the existing one.||To find out solution for the problem at hand.|
Definition of Basic Research
Basic Research or otherwise called as pure or fundamental research, is one that focuses on advancing scientific knowledge for the complete understanding of a topic or certain natural phenomenon, primarily in natural sciences. In a nutshell, when knowledge is acquired for the sake of knowledge it is called basic research.
Basic Research is completely theoretical, that focuses on basic principles and testing theories. It tends to understand the basic law.
Basic Research deals with generalization and formulation of theory about human behaviour. It is aligned towards collecting information that has universal applicability. Therefore, basic research helps in adding new knowledge to the already existing knowledge.
Definition of Applied Research
Applied Research can be defined as research that encompasses real life application of the natural science. It is directed towards providing a solution to the specific practical problems and develop innovative technology.
In finer terms, it is the research that can be applied to real-life situations. It studies a particular set of circumstances, so as to relate the results to its corresponding circumstances.
Applied research includes research that focuses on certain conclusions experiencing a business problem. Moreover, research that is aligned towards ascertaining social, economic or political trends are also termed as applied research.
Key Differences Between Basic and Applied Research
The points given below explain the differences between basic and applied research:
- Basic Research can be explained as research that tries to expand the already existing scientific knowledge base. On the contrary, applied research is used to mean the scientific study that is helpful in solving real-life problems.
- While basic research is purely theoretical, applied research has a practical approach.
- The applicability of basic research is greater than the applied research, in the sense that the former is universally applicable whereas the latter can be applied only to the specific problem, for which it was carried out.
- The primary concern of the basic research is to develop scientific knowledge and predictions. On the other hand, applied research stresses on the development of technology and technique with the help of basic science.
- The fundamental goal of the basic research is to add some knowledge to the already existing one. Conversely, applied research is directed towards finding a solution to the problem under consideration.
The type of research may vary on the basis of the level at which research is carried out and its purpose. One can choose basic research over applied research when the purpose is to add certain scientific knowledge, whereas when it is important to identify a proper solution to the problem under study, applied research is preferable.