The terms science and technology, are often pronounced in the same breath and used as synonyms, because they are closely intertwined, that their difference is many a time ignored. Science is all about acquiring knowledge of the natural phenomenon along with the reasons for such phenomenon, like Why the sky is blue? Why are leaves green? Why rainfall occurs? What are the colours of the rainbow? How do plants make their food? And so forth. When this knowledge is put to practice, to solve human needs or problems, it is termed as technology.
So, in short, science deals with theories, principles and laws whereas technology is all about products, processes and designs. In this article excerpt, we are going to discuss all the important differences between science and technology.
Content: Science Vs Technology
|Basis for Comparison||Science||Technology|
|Meaning||Science is a methodical way of gaining knowledge on a particular subject, through observation and experiments.||Technology alludes to the practical application of the scientific knowledge for various purposes.|
|What is it?||It is the process of exploring new knowledge.||It is the use of laws of science to create new products.|
|Effect||It is useful||It can be useful or harmful.|
|Change||Does not changes.||Changes continuously|
|Deals with||Study of structure and behavior of natural and physical world, to create premises.||Putting those premises into practice.|
|Method of evaluation||Analysis, deduction and theory development||Analysis and synthesis of design.|
|Use||Used to make predictions||Simplify the work and fulfill the needs of people.|
Definition of Science
The word science is explained as a system of obtaining knowledge, through experimentation and observation, so as to elucidate natural phenomena. It is a methodical and rational approach to exploring, What are the objects present in the universe? How do they work? etc. It is a discipline that has several branches like physics, chemistry, biology, geology, botany, psychology and so on.
In simple terms, science is the set of knowledge gained by way of analysis about all the things existing around us. The knowledge is based on facts and evidence, relating to the subject, rather than opinions and personal choices. And so, the statements and laws generated by science cannot be challenged, as they are well observed and tested.
Science can be used in the development of latest technology, cure diseases and solve many other problems. Research is continuously made, to expand our scientific knowledge, which leaves a room of question for further investigation.
Definition of Technology
Technology is a combination of technique, skills, processes, design, products, etc. which is dedicated to creating instruments or gadgets or to complete scientific investigation. It is a set of knowledge that has practical application in the creation, designing and utilisation of products for industrial, commercial or everyday use.
We are surrounded by things that are created with the help of certain technology, i.e. whether we work, communicate, travel, manufacture, secure data, business and almost everywhere. Most people use technology, to simplify their work and also to extend their abilities. It also ensures a solution to various scientific problems.
Key Differences Between Science and Technology
The points given below, explain the basic differences between science and technology:
- Science can be defined as an organised way of gathering knowledge on a subject, through various observations and experiments. Technology is the practical usage of the laws of science for different purposes.
- Science is nothing but a process of exploring new knowledge, whereas technology is putting scientific knowledge into practice.
- Science is very useful to gain knowledge about a natural phenomenon, and their reasons. On the contrary, technology can be useful or harmful, i.e. technology is both a boon and bane, such that if it is used in the right way, it can help humans in solving a number of problems, however, if it is put to wrong uses, it can cause destruction of the whole world.
- Science remains unchangeable; only additions are made to further knowledge. Conversely, technology changes at a rapid pace, in the sense that, improvement in previous technology is made constantly.
- Science stresses on discovery, like facts and laws of nature. Unlike technology, focuses on the inventions, such as the development of latest technique, to ease the work of humans.
- Science is the study of structure and behaviour of natural and physical world, to create premises. In contrast, technology deals with putting those premises into practice.
- Science is concerned with analysis, deduction and theory development. On the other hand, technology is based on analysis and synthesis of design.
- Science is used to make predictions whereas technology simplifies the work and fulfil the needs of people.
To sum up, we can say that science is knowing, but technology is about doing. When it is about solving of problems both the two disciplines work together. Science has helped us in gaining knowledge of the things existing in the universe and also to make predictions on future outcomes. Technology, on the other hand, has helped us in simplifying our work by providing us various products, that helps us to get better results in less time. However, it has some negative uses too, so it should always be used positively.