One of the widely accepted fact about human beings is, No two people are alike, whether in terms of physical appearance or abstract aspects. For most of the people a person behavior is his attitude, but in reality, they are different concepts. Although, they are interconnected and influence each other directly or indirectly. It has been said that ‘a person’s attitude affects thoughts while his behavior affects actions.’ So, in our today’s topic, we are going to explore some significant differences between attitude and behavior.
Content: Attitude Vs Behavior
|Basis for Comparison||Attitude||Behavior|
|Meaning||Attitude refers to a person's mental view, regarding the way he/she thinks or feels about someone or something.||Behavior implies the actions, moves, conduct or functions of an individual or group towards other persons.|
|Based on||Experience and observation||Situation|
|What is it?||A person's mindset.||Outward expression of attitude.|
|Reflects||What you think or feel?||What you do?|
|Defined by||Way we perceive things.||Social Norms|
Definition of Attitude
To put simply, attitude is a person’s mental outlook, which defines the way we think or feel anything. It is a hypothetical construct, i.e. whose direct observation is not possible. It is a predisposition to respond in a settled way to a person, event, opinion, object, etc., which is reflected in our body language. It has a strong impact on our decisions, actions, stimuli, etc. Education, experience, and environment are the major factors that affect a person’s attitude.
A person’s attitude can be positive, negative or neutral views, which shows one’s likes and dislikes for someone or something. So, the type of attitude we carry, speaks a lot about us, as we get into that mood and transmits a message to the people around us. There is no such thing like ideal attitude, for a particular situation as it is spontaneous and so we always have a choice to opt the right attitude for us.
Definition of Behavior
The term ‘behavior’ can be described as the way of conducting oneself. It is the manner of acting or controlling oneself towards other people. It is the range of actions, responses, and mannerisms set by an individual, system or organization in association with themselves or their environment, in any circumstances.
Key Differences Between Attitude and Behavior
The difference between attitude and behavior can be drawn clearly on the following grounds:
- Attitude is defined as a person’s mental tendency, which is responsible for the way he thinks or feels for someone or something. Behavior implies the actions, moves, conduct or functions or an individual or group towards other persons.
- A person’s attitude is mainly based on the experiences gained by him during the course of his life and observations. On the other hand, the behavior of a person relies on the situation.
- Attitude is a person’s inner thoughts and feelings. As opposed to, behavior expresses a person’s attitude.
- The way of thinking or feeling is reflected by a person’s attitude. On the contrary, a person’s conduct is reflected by his behavior.
- Attitude is defined by the way we perceive things whereas behavior is ruled by social norms.
- Attitude is a human trait but behavior is an inborn attribute.
So, with the above discussion, it is clear that whatever you say or do, conveys a message to the world about what’s going on in your mind. It is universally accepted fact that our emotions, opinions and thoughts cannot be observed, which shows our attitude. Further, our behavior is ruled by our attitude as his actions are the reflection of his thoughts.
While attitude is nothing but a person’s perception on something or someone in life. As against this behavior, is how a person reacts to various inputs and stimulus.