Research can be understood as the systematic and rigorous search for appropriate information on a specific subject. It involves enunciation of the problem, developing a hypothesis, collecting and analysing data and drawing conclusions, based on the facts and data collected. And to do so, the researcher uses research methods, during the course of conducting research. These research methods are often confused with research methodology, that implies the scientific analysis of the research methods, so as to find a solution to the problem at hand. Hence, it seems apt to clarify the differences between research method and research methodology at this juncture, have a look.
Content: Research Method Vs Research Methodology
|Basis of Comparison||Research Method||Research Methodology|
|Meaning||Research Method implies the methods employed by the researcher to conduct research.||Research methodology signifies way to efficiently solving research problems.|
|What is it?||Behavior and instrument used in the selection and construction of the research technique.||Science of understanding, how research is performed methodically.|
|Encompasses||Carrying out experiment, test, surveys and so on.||Study different techniques which can be utilized in the performance of experiment, test, surveys etc.|
|Comprise of||Different investigation techniques.||Entire strategy towards achievement of objective.|
|Objective||To discover solution to research problem.||To apply correct procedures so as to determine solutions.|
Definition of Research Method
Research method pertains to all those methods, which a researcher employs to undertake research process, to solve the given problem. The techniques and procedure, that are applied during the course of studying research problem are known as the research method. It encompasses both qualitative and quantitative method of performing research operations, such as survey, case study, interview, questionnaire, observation, etc.
These are the approaches, which help in collecting data and conducting research, in order to achieve specific objectives such as theory testing or development. All the instruments and behaviour, used at various levels of the research activity such as making observations, data collection, data processing, drawing inferences, decision making, etc. are included in it. Research methods are put into three categories:
- First Category: The methods relating to data collection are covered. Such methods are used when the existing data is not sufficient, to reach the solution.
- Second Category: Incorporates the processes of analysing data, i.e. to identify patterns and establish a relationship between data and unknowns.
- Third Category: Comprise of the methods which are used to check the accuracy of the results obtained.
Definition of Research Methodology
Research Methodology, as its name suggest is the study of methods, so as to solve the research problem. It is the science of learning the way research should be performed systematically. It refers to the rigorous analysis of the methods applied in the stream of research, to ensure that the conclusions drawn are valid, reliable and credible too.
The researcher takes an overview of various steps that are chosen by him in understanding the problem at hand, along with the logic behind the methods employed by the researcher during study. It also clarifies the reason for using a particular method or technique, and not others, so that the results obtained can be assessed either by the researcher himself or any other party.
Key Differences Between Research Method and Research Methodology
The differences between research method and research methodology can be drawn clearly on the following grounds:
- The research method is defined as the procedure or technique applied by the researcher to undertake research. On the other hand, research methodology is a system of methods, used scientifically for solving the research problem.
- The research method is nothing but the behaviour or tool, employed in selecting and building research technique. Conversely, research methodology implies the science of analysing, the manner in which research is conducted appropriately.
- The research method is concerned with carrying out experiment, test, surveys, interviews, etc. As against this, research methodology is concerned with learning various techniques which can be employed in the performance of experiment, test or survey.
- Research method covers various investigation techniques. Unlike, research methodology, which consists of complete approach aligned towards the attainment of purpose.
- Research method intends to discover the solution to the problem at hand. In contrast, research methodology aspires to apply appropriate procedures, with a view to ascertaining solutions.
The scope of research methodology is wider than that of research method, as the latter is the part of the former. For understanding the research problem thoroughly, the researcher should know the research methodology along with the methods.
In a nutshell, research method refers to the technique which can be adopted to explore the nature of the world that surrounds us. On the contrary, research methodology is the foundation, which helps us to understand the determinants influencing the effectiveness of the methods applied.