Both speed post and registered post are postal services provided by India Post, to the general public, wherein the speed post is famous for its time-bound delivery and registered post is known for secured delivery. The fundamental difference between, speed post and registered post is that the former is address specific while the latter is addressee-specific.
With the advancement in technology, the world has now become a global village with no ‘boundary’ word left in the dictionary. As it is not possible for most of the people to personally deliver all their relevant documents, parcels, gifts, messages and business letters due to their busy schedule.
Speed Post and Registered Post are the most trustworthy services in this regard, which facilitates urgent and convenient delivery of messages in a secured and timely manner.
Content: Speed Post Vs Registered Post
|Basis for Comparison||Speed Post||Registered Post|
|Meaning||Speed Post is an India post service that offers secured and time bound delivery of letters, parcel and gifts.||Registered Post is also an India post service similar to an ordinary post, but offers additional facilities like signature of the recipient, extra cover, a proof of delivery etc.|
|Delivery||Address specific||Addressee specific|
|Time Taken||Normally 2-3 days.||Normally 2-5 days.|
|Record Keeping||Normal record keeping.||Special record keeping with precautions and due care.|
Definition of Speed Post
The ‘Speed Post’ service was started by the Indian Department of Posts way back in 1986, to provide time bound delivery of posts. The service offers ‘one rate’ delivery pricing in all the places of India, with faster and secure delivery (normally 2-3 days, within India). It also provides an excellent delivery network across the different parts of the world (including the remote areas). As the delivery is made at the address of the receiver, full name and signature of the person taking delivery and the number of articles delivered is recorded the delivery slip.
The main feature that distinguishes this service from all others is its faster delivery system. Speed Post also provides a facility to track the status of posts through an online portal:
Definition of Registered Post
‘Registered post’ is an Indian Postal Department service, similar to an ordinary post, providing additional facilities like safe delivery, the signature of the recipient at the time of delivery, extra cover (insurance) and proof of delivery.
As the service is similar to an ordinary post, the parcel normally takes 2-5 days to reach its destination. Identification is given to the article and recorded simultaneously at each handling stage. In this way, the proper record of the posts and parcel is maintained till the delivery point, with tracking details available to the recipient at each point. In general, the service is used to deliver credit cards, or property documents etc.
Key Differences Between Speed Post and Registered Post
- The major difference between a speed post and the registered post is that speed post is address-specific service, in essence, the delivery of the article can be taken by the addressee or any other person also, at the address, such as the family members of the addressee while registered post is addressee-specific, i.e. only the addressee is allowed to take the delivery of the article.
- The second difference lies in the time they take to deliver a message. Speed Post is a high-speed postal service that offers time bound delivery of the post. As far as timely delivery of Registered post is concerned, it is like an ordinary post in which the parcel gets registered and safe custody of the parcel is maintained from the source to destination.
- Normal record keeping is done in case of a Speed Post whereas a Special record keeping is done in the case of Registered Post along with an acknowledgement card that needs be signed by the recipient at the time of delivery.
- Speed Post is much faster as compared to the Registered Post.
- The speed post service is available at an affordable price, while the rates of Registered Post are comparatively high.
- Speed Post doesn’t provide extra cover like a Registered Post.
- Speed Post normally takes 2-3 days to reach at its destination while the time frame for Registered Post is normally 2-5 days.
Advantages of Speed Post
- Affordable Prices
- Fast Delivery
- Status Check
- Guaranteed Delivery
- Safe and Reliable
Advantages of Registered Post
- Status Check
- Certainty in Delivery
- Proper record keeping
- Extra Cover
- Safe and Secure custody
Both, the Speed Post and Registered Post are India Post services available in all parts of the country, with delivery across the different parts of the nation and the globe. People can opt either of these two services on the basis of their need and requirement, i.e. How quickly and securely they want their posts to be delivered.
If time is your primary concern, then you may go for a speed post, but if you want to deliver something precious which is required to be taken care of, you better go for a registered post. Both the services are reliable and the two things that make the difference between them is their speed and security.