Based on characteristics, there are two types of personality, i.e. introvert and extrovert. When a person is reserved and does not open up easily, he or she is said to be an introvert. On the contrary, when a person is social, talkative and makes friends quickly, then his personality type is extrovert.
“We all are same, but different” is an old saying, which means we all have same human nature, body, mind, thoughts, feelings, yet every individual is unique in its own way. Therefore, it is said that ‘No two people are alike,’ as our way of thinking, feeling and acting is different from other people, which represents our personality. The article excerpt presents you all the differences between introvert and extrovert in detail.
Content: Introvert Vs Extrovert
|Basis for Comparison||Introvert||Extrovert|
|Meaning||An introvert is a person who remains isolated, or enjoys the company of few closed ones.||An extrovert is an outgoing and outspoken person who enjoys being around and talking to people.|
|Speaking||They think before speaking.||They reason things out by speaking them.|
|Energy||Recharges with solitude||Recharges with social interactions|
|Time||Spends more time with themselves||Spends more time with family and friends|
|Focus||Inward focused||Outward focused|
|Change||Do not accept change easily.||Accept change easily.|
|Communication||Openly communicate about themselves with people they know and trust.||Openly communicate about themselves with anyone.|
|Concentration||Deeply concentrate for long period.||Get distracted easily.|
Definition of Introvert
A personality trait, wherein a person, is interested in his own mental self, is called an introvert. Introverts are reserved by nature, as they are preoccupied with their own thoughts and feelings. So, they need a lot of personal space. Further, these people feel comfortable and more energized when they are alone. So, they prefer solitary activities to social interaction which includes reading, writing, listening music, and so on. They have their own world of facts, feelings, fantasies, etc.
Many believe that introverts are shy and anti-social, rather they have social fear, and they are active listeners. They do not make friends easily and have few friends, but their friendship is deep rooted.
Definition of Extrovert
Extrovert refers to a type of human behavior in which a person loves to be surrounded by and interact with people. They are socially confident and outspoken. The very identity of an extrovert is that they enjoy human interaction.
Extroverts, focuses on practical realities rather than inner feelings and opinions, so they get bored in solitude. Hence, they tend to be more social, practical, informal and enthusiastic. Further, their communication skills are excellent. Individuals who possess this type of personality enjoys social gatherings and like to become the center of attraction. They are same in public and private.
Key Differences Between Introvert and Extrovert
The difference between introvert and extrovert can be drawn clearly on the following grounds:
- A person who remains isolated, or enjoys the company of few closed ones and keeps himself busy in thinking, is called an introvert. An outgoing and outspoken person who enjoys being around and talking to people is an extrovert.
- By nature, introverts are self-contained and reserved, whereas extroverts are friendly, talkative and gregarious.
- When it comes to speaking, introverts listen more than they speak and in fact they think twice or thrice before speaking. On the other hand, extroverts are completely different, they speak their minds out, infact they try to find out the reason of something by speaking them.
- The energy of introverts recharges with soltitude whereas extrovert’s energy recharges with social interactions.
- If we talk about spending time, introverts get rejuvenated when they spend time with themselves and so they avoid social interaction. As against this, extroverts like to spend time with family, friends, etc. and love getting social.
- Introverts seem to be quiet but their minds are loud as well as active. On the contrary, extroverts are outside thinkers, as they can handle any situation by verbally communicating with others.
- Introverts open up to a very few people and hence they prefer two or three close friends. In contrast, extroverts are socially active people whose friend list is very long, as they make friends wherever they go.
- Introverts hate change, as they cannot easily adapt themselves to new situations. As opposed this, extroverts accept the change easily.
- Extroverts are one who can talk with other about themselves, freely. Conversely, introverts openly communicate about themselves with people they know and trust.
- One of the major quality of introverts is, they can deeply concentrate on anything, while extroverts are easily distracted as they cannot concentrate on anything for a long time.
Finally, you will now be able to identify the difference between these two personality types as they are just opposite. While introvert avoids social gatherings and love being alone, extroverts feel pleasure in taking part in social activities, and easily prone to boredom when isolated. Further, the introverts are silent and listen more but extrovert speaks more and enjoys being in the limelight.