The term ‘work‘ is the most commonly used word in our day to day life, which refers to the activities, i.e. physical or mental performed by us, so as to achieve the desired outcome. It includes everything that we do to get the intended result like studying, dancing, cooking, singing, playing, etc.
On the contrary, the word ‘job‘ is used by us to represent a particular position in the company, for instance, I have a job of sales manager (designation). It is a regular and constant activity performed by the employee, for adequate consideration.
In short, ob is nothing but a paid position in a company, work may or may not be paid. The article excerpt presented to you sheds light on the difference between job and work.
Content: Job Vs Work
|Basis for Comparison
|A job is described as an activity, performed by an individual for consideration.
|Work refers to any kind of activity that involves physical or mental strain, so as to accomplish a goal.
|May or may not be present.
|Your position in the company.
|Activities done by you.
Definition of Job
In simple terms, a job is referred as a piece of work, more specifically a task performed regularly for an agreed price. It is a part of one’s occupation, performed with a motive of earning money. A job can be part-time, for 20 hours a week or full-time, for 40 hours a week.
To start a job, one needs to get employed, where the employee enters into a contract of employment with the employer. The employee is required to follow company’s regulations. Each job involves certain tasks, duties, responsibilities which should be performed in a systematic way, as the individual gets paid for that. The employees are made clear about organizational goals and targets to achieve.
The term job can be used in a variety of contexts, like a specific designation or duties performed in the job or the kind of company you are working for.
Definition of Work
Work refers to an activity, in which physical or mental efforts are performed to produce something or accomplish a goal. The work is performed by an individual as a duty towards his employers for consideration or as a responsibility towards other people, like family, friends or even for self.
In finer terms, each and every activity or exertion done by individual comes under work. In English, it can be used in two major contexts, which are:
- It can be used to refer the place of work. For example Jimmy is at work. or Alex is going to work.
- It is also used to refer all the activities that happen during work. For example Meeting with clients, basic job duties, etc.
Key Differences Between Job and Work
The following points are noteworthy so far as the difference between job and work is concerned
- Activity, performed by an individual for consideration, is called a job. Any activity that involves physical or mental strain, so as to accomplish a goal, is called work.
- In the English Language, the word job is a countable noun, that means you can count the number of jobs, but at the same time, the term work is an uncountable noun.
- The job is much more specific than work as it represents a regular and official activity whereas work means general efforts made to achieve a result.
- A job is performed for a monetary compensation called salary or wages. On the contrary, work may or may not involve monetary compensation.
- A job describes your designation in the company, while a work includes all the activities done by you.
So, with the discussion of these two terms, it is quite evident, that job and work are different terms and should not be misconstrued. Further, the word ‘work’ has a broader meaning than the word ‘job’ as the latter is a small part of the former. While a job is a formal and routine activity performed in exchange for money, work includes all the tasks undertaken by an individual which may or may not be paid.