‘Education’- The priority of all the persons, the age of learning never ends whether you are three years old or 63 years old because it’s not all about getting literate, but to become a better human being. Now the people want to study after marriage or even after they get older. There are so many reasons to get a quality education such as:
- It makes us a better human being.
- It makes us independent.
- It makes us self-confident.
- It develops the decision-making power of what is right and wrong.
- It removes the superstitions.
- It saves us from getting fooled.
Apart from lots of reasons to get educated, many people are not able to go the classrooms, due to certain issues viz. Financial problems job commitment, family issues, pursuing other courses and many other problems. This made people choose an option of an open university and the distance education to continue their learning even after such obstacles. So come and let’s understand the meaning and the difference between an open university and the distance education.
Content: Open University Vs Distance Education
|Basis for Comparison||Open University||Distance Education|
|Meaning||Open University is a university which offers the policy of open admissions, distance and online learning programmes.||Distance Education is a type of learning provided by various universities to students who are not present in person at the site.|
|Type||It is a type of University.||It is a type of education mode.|
|Colleges||In an open university there are no affiliated colleges and comprises of only study centers and institutes.||In a distance education, the university can either be an open university or traditional university. Therefore, various colleges are affiliated to the traditional university.|
|Purpose||Open University was founded to impart higher education to those individuals who cannot take admissions in the traditional university.||Distance Education was founded with the purpose to allow access to education to those who are unable to attend the regular colleges.|
Definition of Open University
An Open University is a university which offers the policy of open admissions, distance and online learning programmes. The students are provided with the study materials for various courses through the study centres and online.
Also, the students can avail the online services of a tutor who gives feedback on the assignments and projects completed online. It is a cheap way of pursuing the higher education and is very beneficial for the working class people as well as for those living in the rural areas.
Definition of Distance Education
Distance Education is a mode of learning where the students are not present in person at the site. In this, the student does not have a direct face to face contact with the teacher but can use various modes to access education, like e-learning, video conferencing, e-mail, etc.
In this mode of education, the student is not required to attend the classes regularly, and the evaluation of his research work is done through the tests conducted at regular intervals.
Key Differences Between Open University and Distance Education
- Open University is a university which offers open entry for admissions through distance and online learning programmes. On the other hand, Distance Education is a type of learning programme provided by various universities to those students who are not present at the site.
- The significant difference between the Open University and the Distance Education is that an open university is a type of University while the distance education is a kind of education mode.
- There are no colleges affiliated to an open university, whereas the distance education is provided by either an open university or a traditional university; therefore, various colleges are affiliated to the traditional university.
- The main purpose of an open university is to provide education to those who can’t take admissions in the traditional university, i.e. working class people or those living in the remote areas. On the other hand, the primary purpose of the distance education is to allow access to education to those who are unable to attend the regular colleges i.e. students can study at their own place and at any time.
- In an open university, the education is provided only in a distance learning mode, whereas the distance education can be provided by an open university or a private university or a regular university.
- Both of them lack face to face interaction of students with the teachers.
- Both impart education in the same mode.
- No compulsory attendance is required.
- Online study material and syllabus are provided to the students.
Many people think that there is no difference between an open university and the distance education, but there are many areas which distinguish them. Both forms of entities are doing good work in imparting education to those students who cannot attend the regular university, due to their personal problems. It is a great way of getting higher education without losing the job and also saves the time and money along with the learners flexibility (time and place) of receiving the education.
Hundreds of degree and diploma courses are provided in respective fields like undergraduate, postgraduate and masters by these open universities, well equipped with learned faculties, where millions of students get the education in the distance learning mode. However, both of these systems suffers from pros and cons, but it’s all about how you take it as, either a boon or a bane.