In English, there are many pairs of words, with almost identical pronunciation. However, they differ in the meanings and spellings. So, while using such words in our sentences, we need to be more careful. One such group of the word is access and excess, wherein access means the opportunity to enter, whereas excess refers to the quantity of something which is more than enough or desired. Let’s take a look at these examples to understand the difference between access:
- You can access the internet from this system, but make sure that the data usage is not excess.
In the given example, firstly the word access is used to imply permission of using the system, whereas the word excess, is used with regard to overconsumption of the limit provided by the Internet Service Provider (ISP) to the customer.
Content: Access Vs Excess
|Basis for Comparison||Access||Excess|
|Meaning||Access refers to the approach, or means to connect or reach something.||Excess implies the quantity of anything which is in surplus of what is desired or necessary.|
|Part of speech||Noun and Verb||Noun and Adjective|
|Example||Access to the website is denied.||The excess of price over cost is called profit.|
|You can access the payroll details of employees through the HR department.||Excess consumption of oil, can cause heart ailments.|
Definition of Access
Simply put, the word access means to be able to have what is needed or required. Meaning that access is the approach, permission or opportunity, through which a person gets what he/she desires. It can be used as a noun and a verb in sentences. Now we’ll discuss how we can use access in our sentences:
- As a noun, access means the way of reaching close to a place or any person:
- To have access to the island is through the ship.
- You cannot access to the Cantonment area, without having official permission.
- Being a noun, it may also mean the right or authority:
- Once the password is detected, we can easily get access to his account.
- There is a large portion of the women population in the country, who have no access to medical facilities.
- As a verb, access refers to obtaining information from a computer file, or a storage device, so as to use it:
- Please provide me with the credentials, so that I can access the database.
- You can access your account details, by going to the bank and applying for it.
Definition of Excess
In simple words, excess means an overabundance of anything, i.e. more than the required amount or quantity. It can be used as a noun, and an adjective, in the sentences. So, let’s have a look at the below-given points, which explains the usage of excess in the sentences:
- As a noun, it refers to more than enough, i.e. greater than the usual or expected amount:
- The owner said, “you have to sell the excess stock by the end of this year”.
- Once the party is over, she has given the excess food to the poor ones.
- It may also mean the state of working beyond normal or permitted extent:
- Don’t talk to excess.
- You cannot withdraw money in excess of Rs. 20,000.
- As an adjective, it means extra:
- Please remove excess words, from the letter.
- They said, “you have put on excess weight”.
Key Differences Between Access and Excess
The differences between access and excess are provided hereunder:
- In English, we use the word access to mean the way to reach something, or the right to get an entry. On the contrary, we apply the word excess to mean the amount of something that is beyond what is required or desired, in usual circumstances.
- If we talk about pronunciation, we stress on the first syllable when we are pronouncing the word access. Conversely, we stress on the second syllable, at the time of pronouncing the word excess.
- The word access can be used as a noun or a verb in sentences, whereas excess can be used as a noun and also as an adjective in the sentences.
- The access to the website is not possible due to server error.
- Aspirants who are preparing for the civil services mains exam can have access to the notes.
- After removal of trade barriers between countries, now foreign manufacturers can access the Indian market.
- During elections, the political parties use different campaigning techniques for excess promotion.
- If you have paid excess tax, then the amount with which it exceeds will be refunded, with interest.
- The new CEO removed excess staff from every department.
How to remember the difference
By and large, the words access and excess has no similarity, except for their pronunciation. Succinctly, we use the word ‘access’ to the means to get admission or entry to any place, whereas the word ‘excess’ can be used for indicating overabundance or extra.
Leave a Reply