Marketing is omnipresent. Almost all the things that you have or you use, right from the pen to a water bottle, a mobile phone to a car, are touched by marketing. All we are saying here is that marketing has its impression on each of them. Basically, the impression of marketing could be highly noticeable or subtle, but that depends on the product and the context.
It is the actual strategic activity of the enterprise. It is very essential for the survival, growth and expansion of the organization.
But, advertising is a powerful tool to inform people about a company’s offerings. It plays a dominant role in promotional activities. In fact, there are instances when the entire promotional efforts are undertaken through advertising. Also, a major portion of the company’s promotion is kept aside for advertising. And just because of its popularity and impactfulness, it is considered equal to marketing.
In business, we say the customer is the only boss. Thus, all the strategies are made with the aim of satisfying the unmet needs of the customers. They focus on turning shoppers into buyers.
Content: Marketing Vs Advertising
- Comparison Chart
- What is Advertising?
- What is Marketing?
- Key Differences
- Marketing Mix
- 5M’s of Advertising
|Basis for Comparison||Advertising||Marketing|
|Meaning||Advertising is a part of the market communication process that a company undertakes with the aim of seeking the attention of the public towards a particular message.||Marketing is the process of understanding the market conditions in order to identify the customer needs and create such a product that it sells itself.|
|Goal||Getting a quick and desired response from the customer in terms of an increase in sales.||People should have knowledge about the company, its products and services, stores, prices, etc.|
|What is it?||Advertising covers the placement of ads on different channels like tv, newspaper, billboards, radio, online ads and social media.||Marketing is a process with a Unique Selling Proposition (USP) and strong content that describes your business.|
|Term||Short term||Long term|
|Focuses||Creating market for both new and existing products and building brand image||Drawing the attention of the general public.|
|Facilitates||Generation of sales||Creating awareness|
What is Advertising?
The word ‘advertising‘ came from the Latin term ‘adverto‘, which simply means to turn around. It represents the means that an organization uses to pull the attention of people towards an object or purpose. It is a component of the marketing process.
Advertising is a significant part of marketing and the most expensive one. It is a monologue activity done with the aim of persuading more and more people toward the product or service. It is a technique through which one message can reach a large number of people in a short span of time.
In this process, oral or visual messages are aired to the general public. The seller or the advertiser has to pay for availing the time or space in the channel. The objective is to persuade the target audience to buy more, i.e. increase the sale of the product.
It creates awareness among people about various products. That is to say; people can easily identify what to eat, wear, use, and so forth. They can also classify between true and false (misleading) advertisements.
Definition of Advertising
Advertising is any kind of paid, non-personal demonstration and promotion of ideas and products by a recognized sponsor. The aim of advertising is to spread that idea and awareness about the product among the target audience. In short, with advertising, the company intends to make the product widely popular.
Meaning of Advertisement
Basically, the message you see or hear is the advertisement or ad. It is not the same as advertising which is a process. It involves a number of activities to prepare an effective message and circulate that message to the intended people. The one who reads or watches the advertisement gets to know the advertiser of the message. For circulating this message the sponsor pays a huge amount to the media carrying the message.
An ad campaign consists of a series of various ads placed in different channels on the basis of an analysis of marketing and communication.
Channels of Advertising
- Video channels: Television and Youtube
- Audio channels: Radio and Podcast Advertising
- Printed publications: Newspaper and Magazine
- Outdoor advertising: Billboards, Posters, Transit media, Wallscapes, etc.
- Social Media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.
Salient Features of Advertising
- Communication of informative or persuasive message
- Use of non-personal or paid media for communication
- Identifiable with sponsor
- Ability to communicate with a large audience in one go.
- Persuade the general public to make purchases of goods or services advertised.
- It should be of interest to the audience.
- The audience should interpret the message in an intended manner.
What is Advertising Agency?
An advertising agency is a service provider firm that deals with the planning, creating and managing to advertise for its clients (sponsors). And to do so the ad agency purchases media time and space and develops an ad copy or commercial, for which they perform market research.
What is Marketing?
Marketing is a process which tends to create an image of the company in the mind of the consumer so that whenever they think of buying a product, the first thought that strikes their mind is your brand.
So, it’s all – an art, business function, process, system, practice, science and relationship at the same time. The crux of marketing is the transaction which aims to fulfil human needs or wants.
The marketing process begins long before the process of production of the product takes place, i.e. with market research. It covers decisions like the type of product to be produced, its market, price and packaging.
Also, marketing does not end with the conclusion of the sale, rather, it works on making the customer feel satisfied. This frequent the company’s sales as the customers would like to buy from them in future too. In doing so, marketers work on providing product guarantees and after-sales services.
With this process, the company attempts to match the products with consumers’ wants. It stresses the need of:
Intelligent planning, control and coordination, pricing, promotion and place of availability of the product.
Important: Marketing is not only about the marketing of goods and services, but other entities too, which include:
Definition of Marketing
Marketing is how effectively you explain the value of your product or service to influence the customers in such a way that they ultimately buy it. It is a promotional exercise of bringing the right product at the right place and time for the right people at the right price.
Functions of Marketing
Marketing is a vital function of business which is not just about promoting the product, but it is meant to:
- Understand the market conditions,
- Identify customer needs,
- Design a product as per the need,
- Select the best media for promoting the product.
- Advertise it through various channels
- Determination of price,
- Identify the channels for distributing the product or service,
- Build strong public relations,
- Provide after-sales service to fulfil the customer’s needs.
Also Read: Difference Between Sales and Marketing
Key Differences Between Marketing and Advertising
- Marketing is all about fulfilling the unmet needs of the customers. It attempts to deliver value and provide satisfaction to the customer through its offerings. Advertising is an organized and composed paid form of non-personal communication of ideas, goods and services by a recognized sponsor.
- Marketing is a discipline, while advertising is a branch of marketing.
- Marketing is a process with a Unique Selling Proposition (USP) and strong content that describes your business. In contrast, advertising covers the placement of ads on different channels like tv, newspaper, billboards, radio, online ads and social media.
- The goal of marketing is to create awareness about the company, its product range, services, variants and stores. But, the goal of advertising is to get a quick and intended response from the customer. This response can be store visits, clicks, impressions, and so forth. It will ultimately result in an increase in the company’s sales.
- While marketing is for the long term, i.e. it aims at creating the worth of the company and its products in the eyes of the customer. However, advertising is for the short term, i.e. any ad which a company runs on various media is for a limited period only. Further, advertising is done with a particular aim in mind. Suppose the company want to convey information about the sale. It will advertise the same on various media to get the desired response from the public. So that the message will reach the maximum possible people.
- Marketing focuses on creating a market for the product and building a reputation. Whereas advertising focuses on seeking public attention.
- While marketing facilitates the creation of awareness among the people. Advertising ensures the generation of sales for the company’s products.
It implies the goods and services that a company offers to the target market to meet the needs and wants of consumers. It is all about variety, quality, design, features, brand name, packaging and services.
Price is the monetary value that consumers must pay to get the product or services. It is concerned with list prices, discounts, allowances, payment periods, credit terms, etc.
Physical distribution activities through which the product moves from the source (factory) to the destination (consumer). It deals with channels of distribution, coverage, assortments, locations, inventory, transportation and logistics.
All the activities which the company uses to communicate the product benefits, specification and attributes to the audience comes under promotion. Advertising, personal selling, sales promotion, and public relations are their basic tools.
To be successful in the market, the marketer needs to consider the four C’s first, and after that, they should develop the 4Ps depending on the need.
|Four P's||Four C's|
5M’s of Advertising
While developing an advertising program, marketing managers work for identifying the target market and the buyer’s motives. After that, they have to make five important decisions to develop an ad program which are the 5 M’s:
- Mission: What are the objectives of advertising?
- Money: Total amount to be spent to run the ad on various media platforms
- Message: What message would be circulated?
- Media: Which media channel or platform would be used to broadcast the ad?
- Measurement: How would the company evaluate the results of the ad?
All in all, the success of any business can be ascertained by its achievement in marketing. It is apt to say that every business need marketing, however, every business does not need advertising, except when the company wants exponential growth. While marketing is to pull the customers, advertising is to attract them.