The words assure and ensure often causes confusion to the native English speakers, as to where to use them. While we use the verb assure where we want to make a promise to someone regarding something, so as to help them overcome their anxiety or doubts.
In the same way, we use the word ensure if we want to make sure that something will or will not take place in any case. Now, let’s take a look at these examples to understand the terms better:
- He assured me that he will be there at the party location on time to ensure that all the arrangements are proper.
- The company required some hardworking and talented employees who assure effectiveness in operations, to ensure its success.
In the first example, we’ve used the word ‘assure’ to relieve the tension, while ‘ensure’ to give a guarantee about something. In the next example, assure is used to mean commitment, whereas ensure is ‘to make sure’.
Content: Assure Vs Ensure
|Basis for Comparison||Assure||Ensure|
|Meaning||Assure refers to make a promise to another person, so as to dispel their doubts, in order to convince them or gain their confidence.||Ensure is used when we guarantee something that it will or will not be happening, in any situation.|
|Pronunciation||əˈʃʊə, əˈʃɔː||ɪnˈʃɔː, ɪnˈʃʊə, ɛnˈʃʊə, ɛnˈʃɔː|
|Usage||To convince someone or relieve their doubts or commit something.||To give guarantee about something or make it certain or provide confirmation.|
|Examples||I assure you that you will be fine by Monday morning.||The traffic police ensures that no one breaks the traffic rules.|
|The lawyer assured his client, that he will get justice.||Auditor ensures that the financial statement of the company represent true and fair view.|
|I can assure you that the work will match your standards.||The parents asked the school Principal that how they ensure child safety?|
Definition of Assure
The verb ‘assure’ means to make a commitment to another person and tell something with full confidence, to help them overcome their doubts and anxiety in order to make him/her worry less. It is also used to give some information positively or to convince someone. Now there are some examples using the word assure, have a look:
- Varun assured the client that the project would be completed the next day.
- I assure you that you will pass the examination.
- If you assure me police protection, then I will give my statement at the court about the crime.
- Palak assured Vineeta that she will come to the party.
- The management assured the labour union, that all their demands will be fulfilled.
Definition of Ensure
To ensure something, means we actually guarantee, the happening or non-happening of an event. It is just to make sure, that something which we confirm, actually takes place. Let’s read these examples to understand the use of the word ‘ensure’:
- A new rule has been implemented in the company to ensure that all the employees arrive on time.
- The Government is taking the necessary steps to ensure the safety of women.
- The judge considered all the aspects of the case, to ensure just and fair decision.
- If the deal is cracked, it will ensure the success of the company.
- The objective of teaching is to ensure better learning and understanding ability in the students.
Key Differences Between Assure and Ensure
The difference between assure and ensure can be described in the points given below:
- The word ‘assure’ is used to commit someone that something will happen for sure or will be true, so as to remove doubts and confusion. On the contrary, ensure is a verb, which can be used in the situations when we make sure that something will or will not happen.
- The word ‘assure’ is applied we promise something to someone (person). As against, the word ‘assure’ is used when we talk about something, i.e. a situation, which will or won’t take place certainly.
- When it comes to usage, assure is used to convince someone positively on a particular matter to relieve their doubts or give a commitment. Conversely, to ensure means to take guarantee that something happens or does not happen for sure or be the case.
- The vendor assured the customer that if the product does not meet his requirements, it will be replaced.
- The teacher assured students that all their doubts regarding mathematics will be cleared.
- She assured me that the contract will be renewed.
- To ensure smooth functioning of the business operations, the owner installed a new machinery in the factory.
- The awareness programme on cleanliness held at the college ensures that every student is informed about its importance.
- After taking a bribe, the bank manager ensured the customer, that the loan will be sanctioned.
How to remember the difference
First of all, to use the words assure and ensure correctly and confidently in the sentences, one must be known about what they actually mean. Assure means to say something to someone, positively and certainly, that removes their doubts. In contrast, ensure means to make certain the happening or non-happening of any situation or event.